Wednesday 12 October 2016

Moroccan double z fold card for guys


Today I'm sharing the first card from my recent Just for Men class, which was timed to give my lovelies a choice of making their cards for Father's Day, birthdays or anytime they liked.
The thing I really liked about this design is it's so adaptable for any occasion or person. Just change the word & paper to suit. But I digress...

Double z fold cards are hugely popular at the moment and this one shows two of my favourite tips for guys cards:
1. Create interest (& even better, bamboozle the guys) with a fancy fold
2. Use paper to add colour & pattern
3. Make impact with a great sentiment

Here's how the the double Z fold looks when the card's open. Actually it folds more in the direction of an S than a Z looking at it now. Who knew ;)

I stamped the 'happy' letters (Large Letters stamp & die bundle) in night of navy ink, cut them out, then popped them on dimensionals along the front of the smaller z fold so they really pop off the front. I attached the Father's Day sentiment in the space below with the aid of a small piece of card attached to the z fold.


The two paper patterns I've used are from the fab Moroccan DSP & oh my goodness I had one of those perfect cardmaking moments with the tiled pattern. It exactly fit the size & fold locations in the card. I wish I could say I planned it that way but truly was a very, very happy accident.

Here's another pic so you can see that how the 'happy' & Father's Day sentiment pops off the front.
 

The main z fold base is made with a piece of card 10.5cm x 28cm (approx equivalent to a half sheet of 8-1/2 x 11 inch card) & the second z fold piece is 2.5cm x 28 cm (3/4 x 11 inches). This makes the scoring measurements easy. Simply score both pieces at 7cm & 14cm for perfect folds.

Cutting & Scoring Tips
* As with most fancy folds, accurate cutting & scoring is essential. This is such an easy & effective fold.
* If making multiple cards, cut the base & strip pieces separately. You'll get 2 bases from the one sheet. 
* If you're making just one, cut & score the base & strip together, so the score lines match exactly.

This pic shows how the base looks when flat.



and from the back. I stamped a sentiment from Grateful Bunch & drew lines around the panel to reflect the paper colours on the front.


If you'd like me to share my measurements & a tutorial to make my double z fold card, do leave me a comment & I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, here's a combined image to pin for later inspiration. I hope you'll try making a double z fold card, and I bet you can't stop at making one. The fold is so easy but creates such a fun look. Check out the supply list below to see and order any supplies you need.

I'll be back with another project soon so pop back again on Friday. Until then...

Inky wishes
Di



PS: Don't Miss this! - The Moroccan DSP I've used here is part of our Buy 3, get 1 free October DSP offer so check out all the details here.

Supplies
To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one.  Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order.
Note - Stamp sets & bundles noted below may be available in other mount options (eg wood, cling rubber or photopolymer). Please check the online store if your preference is different.



Big Shot
$159.00

11 comments:

Sunny Strawbaler said...

Another WOW card Di! This one is fantastic and perfect for a guy I think. Sherylee.

AndreaH said...

I agree a wow is all I can say too. Do you do any video tutorials anywhere please as although I think your instructions are very clear I still would rather watch a video so I can go along making mg card at the same time. Hope you don't mind me asking. Thankyou in advance. X

ColourmehappyDi said...

Hi Angie. Thanks so much for your comment. I haven't ventured into videos yet,

I saw that Dawn's Stamping Thoughts has a vid you could follow to get the principles of the double Z fold. Substitute my cutting & scoring measurements if you're using A4 card.
Dawn's vid is here: https://youtu.be/Emzp3V5KS9Y
Feel free to email me if you need more help with my card specifically. Have fun.
Di

ColourmehappyDi said...

Hi again Angie. You may also be interested in joining my colourmehappy fb group too as I often share more info about projects there including tutorials. Email me for more info.
Warm wishes, Di

Michelle said...

Wow! Awesome! Love this CAS masculine card.

Unknown said...

Could you upload a tutorial how do you make the Z golf please

fnyrdhd said...

Hi Diane 🙂 I too am an independent SU demonstrator and I would love directions and measurements on how to make this great card! I am sending a birthday card to a gentleman who will be turning 102, YES, 102 years old next month and I think this card would be perfect for him! I would add the numbers 102 in the space with the balloons to personalize it a little more for him. Thank you in advance, I would really appreciate it. Have a great week! 😃

Anonymous said...

Hi Di. I absolutely love the card you created. I create cards for my work friends to celebrate birthdays. Is there a tutorial for this card on YouTube?

Anonymous said...

I've just made this for my grandson but as a football themed birthday card. Thank you so much l was really stuck what to do. Lovely card.

ColourmehappyDi said...

Thanks so much for your comment. I’m glad it was helpful to you. A football card sounds lots of fun.
Di

Leonie said...

I love this card. May I please have tutorial, so I can make it for my dad’s birthday (94!)