Tuesday 8 September 2015

Peter Pan box frame card with a dash of pixie dust

You know I have a fascination with fancy folds & 3d projects so today I'm sharing my latest project - a box frame card with a shaker insert. I made this for a Peter Pan loving teen friend of Cara's rather than a card as I thought it would be something she'd like to keep - do teens keep cards?
Can you believe that the frame is made with just a piece of 12 x 12 double sided paper, scored, folded, cut & glued? Well, it is! Such a clever idea & totally not mine :-)

The box frame - these have been on my must-try list since I saw pics of  beautiful frames & templates shared by fellow Demonstrator, Pat Carr at an SU event in Perth last November. I played around with Pat's templates to figure out the size I wanted.Thanks so much, Pat for the inspiration. I'd love to include a link to Pat's creations but she doesn't blog.

The quote - is from Peter Pan by JM Barrie. I laid it out in msWord using text boxes & a typeface called Gist. This particular font is Gist Line Extrabold. I printed it on SU's card vellum (so the dots on the back of the floral paper would show through a little).

The shaker - the pixie dust quote needed some actual pixie dust, which meant including a shaker insert. Pixie dust is a little hard to find, but luckily SU has it's own in the form of dazzling diamonds glitter. I also added bermuda bay & silver sequins for extra colour & movement.
The shaker part is very easy to do -  I started with the printed sheet of vellum,  placed dimensional foam strips around edge for depth, poured in the pixie dust & sequins, then sealed with a piece of acetate. The shaker fitted under the frame, however if I make something like this again I'd make the shaker smaller than the space & simply attach it to the base if I made another one - much easier all round.

I added a folding stand to the back of the frame so it could stand on its own, which you can see in the pic below. I must also apologise for the greyish pics. It was impossible to take pics outside due to the reflections from the acetate & almost as bad inside. So, it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as in real life but hopefully you get the idea :-)
 
Here's a pic of the frame from the back, showing the stand.

I made a custom box-style envelope with my trust envelope punch board to hold the box. No pic, sorry.

I hope you my project gives you some new ideas to try. If you'd like more info about the frame, would like me to share my measurements or anything else, just leave me a comment. Thanks for visiting & pop back soon.
Inky wishes, Di

PS: Since I couldn't link to Pat's instructions I did some googling to try to find a tute that might help you make your own version in the meantime. I found this great photo tutorial by The Craft Spa for a long version & adaption to make a smaller square card version -  also by the Craft Spa to make a smaller square card version. While I didn't use these, they followed the same process I used so I'd definitely check them out.

Supplies
To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one. Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order.
Note - Stamp sets & bundles noted below may be available in other mount options (eg wood, cling rubber or photopolymer). I have listed the option that I used. Please check the online store if your preference is different.



I used a retired 12x12 piece of paper for this project. All other items below are available to order.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Love your box frame as a shaker frame Dianne... Thanks for sharing as I now know what my next box frame make will be.... Fabulous make! And thanks for the tutorial link too... Amanda at The Craft Spa....

Kim's Korner said...

I LOVE fancy fold and 3D as well! Once I saw this I decided I just had to make one. Do you mind sharing the measurements and score marks for both the card frame part as well as the stand part? Thanks so very much. I hope I can make one that looks half as good as yours!