Monday 7 September 2009

Origami Shirts

This is the second card we made at my Father's Day classes & was a very popular one with the girls.
I'm sure many of you have seen origami shirts before, but they were new to me until last year. I was shown how to make them last September by a lovely Thai couple at our church family camp. They showed us some of the origami things they learned to make as kids in Thailand & my eyes just about popped out of my head when they made the shirt, as I thought it would be perfect for Fathers Day. Thankfully, I managed to figure out how to make them again when I started planning this year's class. I did change the method for the sleeve, once I found Cambria Turnbow's Tutorial, as it was a bit easier than the way I was shown.

The pic just doesn't do justice to the colours & I don't have the energy today to take more pics, so I'll just say it looked much better IRL. The base is certainly celery (missed you! – stamped with the 'Sanded' background again). In case you're wondering, my shirt was made with a 9cm x 15.2cm piece of designer paper (so you can get 6 from one sheet). Both paper designs are from the 'Windsor Knot' pack, which is perfect for male cards (but has neutral gender prints too).

The shirt front & buttons are drawn with a choc chip marker. The mats are chocolate chip (pierced with the mat pack template - my current obsession). The whole shirt panel is popped off the front with dimensionals. Finally, the 'love you' greeting is from 'Short & Sweet' & includes a combination of 3 punches (curly label & large & small ovals).

Gary's Birthday Shirt

Here's another version of the shirt card, which I made for my dear father in law Gary's birthday in August. This was actually the first shirt card I made once I figured how to & the shirt is a little bigger than the class version (paper size was 10cm x 18cm). I used some retired 'Spring Showers' DSP on a brocade blue base (again with the Sanded background – are you getting I love this for manly cards?). I snuck in some kraft taffeta ribbon on this one & think it still looks manly enough. The greeting is from 'On your Birthday'.
Anyhoo, thanks for popping in to visit. If you'd like any more info, just drop me an e-mail. I still have one more father's day card to show you, but it'll have to wait. No pics yet!
Inky wishes
Di

Supplies:
Windsor Knot shirt
Stamps: Short & Sweet, Sanded background
Card: certainly celery, choc chip, old olive, Windsor Knot DSP
Ink: certainly celery & choc chip ink pads, choc chip marker
Tools: mat pack piercing template & mat, piercing tool
Gary's Birthday Shirt
Stamps: On Your Birthday, Sanded background
Card: brocade blue, choc chip, Spring Showers DSP
Ink: brocade blue ink pad
Accessories: kraft taffeta ribbon

5 comments:

kareN stampZ said...

I'm going to have to have a go at these they look great

Robyn said...

Fabulous Diane! Into my faves for NEXT Father's Day!

Karen said...

Hey there Di!

Just wanted to tell you how fabo these cards are!! Aren't those little shirts a hoot to make!

Karen
x

Karen said...

Hey Di - I forgot to say they look really cool with brads as buttons too!!

Karen
x

Lesley said...

fantastic cards and thanks for the link to show me how to make the shirts - Lesley x